My last blog post was in March. I currently have 3 posts sitting in my drafts folder waiting to be revised and published. The nature of work and family, though, usually winds up pushing these posts back to a future, undetermined date. Needless to say, I’m still coding along.
Much has happened since my last post on here. I took a new position in late June with Rheem Manufacturing working on their app, so my time at Emory (and my first real dev job) ended in mid June. I still look back on amazement at the amount I learned during this time from when I finished The Iron Yard. 21 month in a dev job just sort of demands it. Still, I was nearing the end of a project and ready for a new challenge. After several online interviews, a few phone interviews, and a couple face-to-face interviews, I accepted a position with Rheem. If you’re not already aware, Rheem manufactures air conditioners, furnaces, boilers, and probably most well-known for, water heaters.
Manufacturing is beginning to embrace the mobile space and our app, while consumer facing, is actually geared toward a different consumer–the contractor or plumber installing your a/c unit or water heater. It’s an interesting viewpoint and as Rheem has spent the time to immerse me in the different industries, it has given me time to think about how to help best serve the users of app, in an installation environment.
Part of my training was pair programming with the development firm, Stable|Kernel. They initially built the app and I was hired to assume future development. They’ve spent the better part of 3 year on it, so it was enjoyable to look at their development process, ask questions on how they attacked different requirements, and ultimately learn their approach to problem solving. Code reviews, both formal and informal, discussions of design patterns, explaining some of the more intricate parts of Xcode I had never really dove into before–all felt like my 21 months at Emory compressed into 12 weeks. One of the biggest takeaways, was that they switch back and forth between architectures as the requirements see fit. While most of it uses MVC, there were some elements where they went with MVVM as the nature of the task made it more readable to me and anyone else that might look at the project in the future. I liked the flexibility. I was so stuck with trying to make my previous work fit into one architecture, I’m sure I actually made things worse. It’s nice to see a different viewpoint.
Now that my time with them has ended and the training wheels have been taken off, so to speak, I feel much more grounded in my abilities. Emory was a great jumping off point, Rheem is the next step in progressing. I look forward to the challenge.
On a side note, I may discontinue my use of wordpress for my blog. I’ve discovered Dev.to and I like their markdown capabilities more, especially as I write more on code. When that first blog comes, I’ll link from here. My queue of drafts on Codable, Interview musings, and Coordinators are still forthcoming…